Best Gaming Headset for Under $100
Whether you’re looking for top-notch technology for your favorite college student or yourself, gaming headsets are a great choice!
Not even into video games? Gaming headsets with the right specifications can even be great replacements for standard headsets and headphones. Many of today’s gaming headsets work with mobile phones as well as other platforms.
|Brand/Model||Key Features||Ratings||More Information|
|BENGOO X-40|| Wired
Compatible with most consoles and platforms (including PS4, Xbox One, PC, and Mac)
| 4.9 out of 5
For more information, click here!
Getting the Right Gaming Headset
It should come as no surprise that one specific headset cannot please each and every possible user. That’s why there’s such a large selection!
Gaming headsets come in all shapes and sizes. Small, large, and even wacky… it just depends on your taste!
Let’s take a look at some of the things we should consider before we make a purchase.
- Do you prefer wired or wireless connections?
- Oftentimes, wired gaming headsets will be cheaper and easier to hook up to different devices.
- Wireless gaming headsets are convenient but unsurprisingly have their limitations… and they tend to cost a few pennies more than their counterparts!
- How much do you plan on spending?
- These gadgets can cost someone anywhere from $20 to well over $500. A higher price doesn’t guarantee extraordinary performance, though.
- We found that we only had to spend about $40 to $250 on some of the very best options.
- Do you want it to have a microphone?
- Believe it or not, there are some gamers that simply have no use for microphones. (You don’t always have to talk a big game in order to be a true winner!)
- If having a microphone interests you, you may wish to consider a mic with noise isolation features and high sensitivity levels. You don’t want to have to shout into the mic just as much as you don’t want your teammates to hear the neighbor’s dogs having a barking competition.
- Should the microphone be detachable? What about adjustable? We say yes to both of these… but especially to it being adjustable. If you’re playing for hours and you’re hungry, you might want to flip your mic up and away from your mouth while you’re snacking on some potato chips.
- What are the gaming headsets compatible with?
- PC, PS4, Xbox, Apple/Mac, tablets, mobile phones, or what? All of the above?
- Many modern models are compatible with most mobile and gaming devices. Especially wired selections if the desired connection has the appropriate auxiliary input. As we mentioned earlier, if gaming doesn’t even interest you, you’d probably still be surprised at the sound quality they offer.
- Which features matter to you?
- Noise-cancellation? Noise isolation? Surround sound? Volume control remotes?
- The more you pay, the more features you can expect. Most of the better models feature some type of remote volume control, giving you the freedom to adjust what you hear and how you can be heard without going into your settings manually.
- Some models must be synced up with controllers while others feature Bluetooth connectivity.
- Some have charging ports and cords while others offer rechargeable batteries.
- Certain models only work on one, specific console or platform, so be sure to read specs.
- How’s the lag resistance? Are your words coming out much slower than the game is progressing or is it synced up pretty well? Check audio specs to make sure your voice isn’t registering and replaying much slower than your teammates’.
- How comfortable should gaming headsets be?
- If you’re a casual gamer, comfort levels probably aren’t as important to you as they should be to an everyday gamer.
- Earbuds should be soft and slide-resistant while over-ear headsets shouldn’t bear too much weight on the ears or other areas of the head.
- If you’re interested in an over-ear headset, be sure to check the headband comfort and how well it fits over your ears for extended periods of time.
- If you game a lot, you don’t want gaming headsets that weigh more than a pound sitting on your head for too long… unless you have very strong neck muscles or are trying to build yours up. Heavy headsets can be very painful!
Our Favorite Gaming Headset
- The BENGOO X-40 is sleek, powerful and affordable.
- It is a wired headset but it’s compatible with most consoles and platforms.
- Can be used with Xbox, PS4, Nintendo, Macs, Microsoft computers, and more.
- If it has a 3.5mm jack, it can connect! Can even connect to super old equipment, like a Windows XP computer.
- Can be found right now for less than $100. Still costs less than $200 when not on sale.
- Next-level comfort obvious in design.
- Padding on the top of the headband, soft ear cover pieces, and an adjustable microphone.
- The microphone can swivel from side to side or be moved up and down.
- Microphone is very sensitive while also containing noise isolation features.
- Sadly, though it is very comfortable to wear, it does weigh about one pound, so extended use can become uncomfortable.
- While being comfortable, has the option to look cool too, with USB-cable-controlled LED lights.
- Unit works perfectly well without putting the lights to use, too.